Friday, May 8, 2009

the banks of the Danube



Budapest was simply incredible. It's always at the top of the list when asked about favorite cities. The city was just another classic example of glorious European park/city integration. I was out for a run one afternoon and decided to head down to a park on the banks of the Danube river. There were cafes lining the river selling everything from beer to ice cream. Massive gardens, free-roaming dogs, softened running tracks and lawns groomed to perfection. 
 

Aside from being the most polluted river in all of Europe (due to incredible amounts of boat traffic), the sight of it at dusk is incomparable. Apparently you're in love if the Danube glows blue at night. I wouldn't go that far, but boy was it ever blue. 



Later on in the evening there was a river cruise with dinner and wine. It was one of those occasions where I couldn't decide whether I wanted to capture the beauty on camera, or simply take it in and enjoy the breeze. In comparison to most of the camera-happy Yanks that occupied the boat, I think I was relatively tamed in terms of snapping shots. 
I should also make note that I was the official digital camera whiz of the night. Once some of the older fogies caught word that I knew how to take night shots without the use of flash, I was a hot commodity. Two-thirds of that boat now (hopefully) know how to properly program their cameras. 

Also, funny story: there were some old Jewish women from New Jersey asking for help. Once I made some adjustments they continuously said things like 

"Oh my gaawd, Awndy. Thank you sooww muuwch for fixing my cowmera, yow my heroww!"

So yeah, really hard to dictate a Jewish-Jersey accent, but I do a good impersonation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment